Thursday, November 17, 2016

Uploading Word Docs with Tables to GSuite...successfully!

Here's a re-post of a Tech Tip I wrote recently for SmartBrief Education's Connected Teaching and Learning. You can see the original post here.


In a recent conversation with clients about how they could get more from G Suite for Education and Google Classroom, I discovered that many of them had problems uploading Word docs that include tables. The table formats changed during the conversion process. I decided to test drive it myself.
In the first test, I found a Word doc with multiple tables that included bullets, check boxes and URLs
Image from Flickr
in the cells and uploaded it. I turned off "Conversion" in the Drive settings. The document looked fine in the preview page. I then selected "Open With Google Docs" and converted it to Google Docs format. Everything was perfect -- exactly how it looked in my original.
I uploaded the document again, this time with "Conversion" turned on in the settings. The uploaded, auto-converted version came out fine.
I ran this test twice more with two more documents and each one had the same successful result.
If you have had trouble in the past with converting table-laden MS Word docs, I urge you to give it another shot. Things have changed and it's very likely that your documents will come out fine. Mine did.

You can see the original post here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...